Navigating the Continuum of Care
We all understand the services offered in a hospital, and when we or a family member may need to be there, but many are confused about the myriad of options available to seniors after a hospital stay, or to help prevent an unnecessary hospital stay. Here is a brief description of some of the services available to our seniors:
- Provided for those needing short term rehabilitative care with the plan to return home or to another setting.
- Included are services such as Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy, IV therapy, and Wound Management.
- Provided to those who may need 24 hour assistance on a permanent basis.
- Typically paid for by Medicare, Private Insurance, Medicaid, and Private Pay.
Assisted Living/Retirement Communities
- All inclusive communities usually providing a menu of service options including:
- Nursing and medication management
- Social Programs and Outings
- Typically paid for with private pay dollars. Some long term care insurance programs offer limited assistance. Ohio offers a Medicaid Waiver program for Assisted Living services for those who qualify.
Home Health – Skilled Services
- Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation services provided in the home setting.
- Covered services include IV therapy, diabetic teaching, wound management and Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy.
- Typically paid for by Medicare, Private Insurance or Medicaid. Some private co-pays may apply.
Home Care Services
- Includes non-medical homemaker, meals on wheels, and private duty services.
- Typically paid for with Private Pay dollars or Medicaid.
- Hospice services can be provided to an individual in a home, assisted living or skilled nursing setting. Some hospice organizations also offer free-standing hospice centers.
- Services include physician and nursing management, medication and pain management, as well as social and spiritual support for the patient and family dealing with an end of life experience.
- Typically paid for by Medicare, Private Insurance or Medicaid.
Be the first to leave a comment
After submitting your comment, it will be reviewed before being posted here. Thank you!